Wednesday, May 23, 2007

My happiest day at Keppel (super long entry)


Keppel Shipyard Gul, my internship location for 6 weeks. Ennnngineering!

3 of us, climbing up and down ships all day long, getting dirty together, laughing at each other clumsiness.

The variety of helmets = variety of people in the shipyard.

Our office is situated in the machine shop.
Mother cat gave birth to 5 little cute kittens which resided in a cut-away pipe.



Spectacular shots taken in the dry dock.


We can be so bored at times that we used stenciling tools to play scrabble.
And so my morning started with a walk around the shipyard. After a while, we rested at the wharf and I was attempting to stabilise myself for a long range shot. All of a sudden, someone snatched the video camera out of my hands and I was totally taken by surprise. It was the senior security officer. He took off with my video camera without saying a word. It felt like I was being robbed for the very first time. I was shocked and scared and in a haste my left leg was rammed by the moving crane from behind. I quickly stepped away, although too late to prevent a heavy bruise on my calf. If i were a second slower, i believe my entire leg would be mashed underneath the crane.... Pheww.. I almost lost my leg.. And so i was determined not to lose my videocamera. I went to the guardhouse, wrote a statement and was relieved to take back my videocamera. This was the 2nd time I've been blacklisted by security.



I got away after writing a statement proclaiming my ignorance since i only started work a week ago. Aiyo.. my tummy is bulging unflatteringly.. all becos of the saggy belt.

In the afternoon, First engineer of BW Carmen took us to the ship's bridge to see the dazzling array of high-tech controls that manipulate the ship. He then brought us up to the helideck where we took in a breathtaking view of the shipyard. He even hao-lianed that a helicopter ride was no where awesome. He then showed us the crew's sleeping quarters and i was shocked to find a pretty 3star cabin nested in such a small ship.

After an hr, he handed us over to 2nd Engineer, Goyal, who is a short, chubby, round, bouncy, cute, unshaved, beer-belly friendly Indian guy. He was friendly enough to ask us about our school life and gave quite a lengthy explanation into engines, generators, bow thrusters, azimuth thrusters, freshwater generator blah etc. At the end of the day, he took us to the pantry and offered us Indian tea.... Oh gosh! I never expected the tea to have an Indian smell in it when i gushed it down.. The indian smell is so ubiquitous! Eeeee....

Ok, so the tour of BW Carmen really made my day.. After work, I headed off to school to attend SMP's closing ceremony. I was from the 8th cycle and 9th cycle is the very last cycle of SMP. I met up with Hayley, Victor and Rongbiao. And I made a new friend Eileen who also stayed at Bukit Panjang.
Me, Hayley and Victor.


8th cycle mentors. Super alot of them din turn up for the ceremony.


Victor's latest high tech camera had face detection technology. But somehow it did not detect my face for 3 times! I'm a woooo.....
It was really a day full of surprises and fun...

No comments: